Keeping yourself hydrated is important all year long, but it is especially so in the summer because of the high temperatures. Additionally, when we exercise, our body temperature rises and we begin to sweat, which is why during strenuous physical activity, it’s crucial to keep our bodies hydrated by taking in extra liquids (even if we don’t feel thirsty). If not, we risk dehydration and heatstroke. Follow these tips to avoid dehydration:
- Don’t wait until you feel thirsty to drink some water -thirst is the first symptom of dehydration.
- Don’t only drink during meals.
- Keeping hydrated is important all year long, and especially during the hot summer months.
- When doing sports, increase your liquid consumption.
- Drink before, during and after physical activity.
** For more information about keeping hydrated, consult a health professional (doctors, nurses or pharmacists).